BioPRIA provides world-class technology-based research and education enabling sustainable innovation for a competitive Australian bio-resource industry. BioPRIA’s research focuses on developing new, high value products from biomass material and waste streams from the Australian pulp, paper and forest industry. Our researchers cover a wide range of disciplines including, but not limited to:
- fibre/pulp, paper and bioproducts characterisation and testing
- advanced characterisation of biomaterials and biopolymers
- advanced material science
- green chemistry
- bio diagnostics
- biorefinery and sustainable processes
We also offer pulp & paper testing and consultancy services for industries that manufacture and utilise paper & paperboard products. Our experts can assist with product quality testing, process optimisation and product development. Our testing facilities include:
- well-equipped laboratory with a wide range of pulp and paper testing equipment that can be used to perform physical, optical and printability testing.
- temperature and humidity-controlled paper testing* lab to ensure accurate and reproducible test results.
*Testing and analysis of products and materials are to specifications using Australian/New Zealand Standards, TAPPI Standards and International Organization for Standardization (ISO) Standards.
The education arm of the Institute provides a Master of Bioproduct Manufacturing Engineering. In partnership with Australasian Pulp & Paper Industry Technical Association (Appita) we offer lectures, webinars, workshops and seminars for engineers and scientists in the practical and theoretical aspects of biorefining, pulping, papermaking, paper properties, recycling and deinking and surface modification of paper and printing.